Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crush City production - By Deo

This epic production was painted for us by Deo THC TFH..



It's at least 20ft tall from what I've heard. I'd like to know the exact
dimensions or witness it for myself but here's some words from the man below...

Originally, I was just going to do a painting (canvas) for the shop.
Over Christmas I did a completely different style of piece on canvas,
more of a traditional free flowing wildstyle, but to be honest it bored
me to look at when it was finished. So without even photographing it,
I painted straight over it with this one (attached below)



The idea for this piece was to do a post-apocalyptic scene with a Giant
Crush City piece looming over the city.
It was loosely based on an older painting of mine called "The Balance",
which I did for a friend of mine (Vinny)
(The relevant section of the painting is attached below)



With giant worms crawling through a semi-demolished city, and a giant
pyramid with the all seeing eye overlooking the whole scene.
I wanted the piece to be big, for maximum impact.
The wall was base coated in grey buff at the bottom and dark blue at the
top, and sketched up with Navy Blue exports.
After that I used about 6 blood oranges in the background. The piece was
initially partly filled in with Cuppa (leaving some of the grey for contrast),
and the navy blue was redefined with Yankee.
Most of the paint there after was Ironlak , with the exception of a few
cans of Monster, export and some Mtn's.

I kind of prefer the overall letter structure of the original canvas as I felt I
lost a bit of the flow when i reproduced it a second time.
Then again I do like some the extra touches, like the meteor shower, the
worm eggs at the base of the city and the huge worm in the foreground.
So it's a trade off I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment